Smartycam Noob

mdirads

Rush SR Owner
Jan 12, 2023
Moorestown, NJ 08057
Hi. I am an absolute noob with the smartycam. I purchased my Rush last year, but only had opportunity for 2 track days. I’ve done 4 days this year, and I’m finally trying out the Smartycam. I configured the SD card and ran 5 sessions today. I am sitting down at my Mac desktop (I know, it’s a Mac and not laptop), and am not able to open the files. I solicited assistance from my son (CS studies), and we connected the card reader to a PC laptop. He told me I need to install software in order to read the card.

Two questions:
1. Am I able to do this on my Mac?
2. What software program do I need, either Mac or PC?

Thanks

Hi. I am an absolute noob with the smartycam. I purchased my Rush last year, but only had opportunity for 2 track days. I’ve done 4 days this year, and I’m finally trying out the Smartycam. I configured the SD card and ran 5 sessions today. I am sitting down at my Mac desktop (I know, it’s a Mac and not laptop), and am not able to open the files. I solicited assistance from my son (CS studies), and we connected the card reader to a PC laptop. He told me I need to install software in order to read the card.

Two questions:
1. Am I able to do this on my Mac?
2. What software program do I need, either Mac or PC?

Thanks
The smartycam should be creating '.MP4' files one for each session. A PC should just display the movie by just clicking on the file.

The smartycam should be creating '.MP4' files one for each session. A PC should just display the movie by just clicking on the file.
Here is a pic of the files on the SD card

Attachments

• 71184904018__14C2ED5E-6A42-44AB-B83A-1599671221E8.jpeg
    71184904018__14C2ED5E-6A42-44AB-B83A-1599671221E8.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 18
You can install RaceStudio3 on a Mac inside Parallels easily.

Download Parallels then install Windows inside it. Download RaceStudio3 in Windows and when you connect the SD card and get a prompt for which machine to connect it to, select Windows. You will see the device show up in RS3 and you can easily download from it there.

If dcim is empty, it didn’t record. You can sanity check me by looking at free space on the card. Videos take about 30MB/minute, so if it recorded you should have a gig or two used.

There are a couple of reasons this can happen, the most trivial of which being the sd card being unseated or the auto-record being off. This is a setting you can get to in the menus or configure via RaceStudio3.

You can test by putting it back in the car and pressing record. Let it go for a bit then stop the recording and pull the card out.

Reactions: Licklobster
I installed the SD card into the SmartyCam controller, and confirmed that the card was recognized. I was able to see video input from the camera. I confirmed that the auto on feature was set to trigger at 20 mph. Not able to drive the car since it is in my trailer. My next track day is tentatively August 5, so I’ll see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.