Rush SR Smartycam Configuration - Throttle, Brake, and more!

Sam Reed

Sandwich Retriever
RAW
Dec 14, 2022
Palmer, MA
It's no secret that I love the AiM Smartycam. It's the perfect companion to an AiM dash and it's one of the few tech products I've bought in a while (besides Airpods!) that absolutely justifies its premium price. Doing video with a GoPro or other custom camera is a lot of legwork compared to setting up your Smartycam once and letting it do the work for you.

See the thread on rendering video without a Smartycam if you don't have one, and want to use a GoPro other camera instead.

If you took delivery of an SR with a Smartycam, you get a lot of features out of the box. You should get a basic overlay with rpm, gear, speed, and track map without any work. But you may notice that your throttle and brake don't work! Here's how to get them going:

Brakes:

This is the easy one. Leave your car on, open RaceStudio 3, and connect to your dash's wifi network. Pull a session from your dash and look at your max front brake pressure in heavy braking zones. Set it to bar, not psi. This becomes important later.

1671730491685.png

Screenshot 2022-12-22 12.31.59.png

Your max may vary. My car badly needed a bleed so I wasn't running as much pressure as I should; other cars should be reading ~20bar. So in this case I'm going to assume my maximum is 8 bar.

Then, you want to create a Math Channel in your dash, not in the analysis section, so your dash can calculate it live and feed it to the Smartycam. Click the gears icon at the top left, highlight your dash, and go into its settings. Click Add Channel:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 12.25.13.png

I name my channel "BrakePerc", set it to "Pct Brake Load" and do a simple math operation to get it to where I want to go. You want your max pressure * this constant to equal 100. So, since 100/8 = 12.5, my channel is as follows:

1671730619893.png

Upload your config to the dash and test it. When your car is on you can open it up in RS3 and view live data. I can't show you right now because my car is in a trackside garage, but it should be fairly self-explanatory.

Sidenote: this is why we are looking at our data in bar, not psi. The math that the dash does internally is always on bar. If you are doing a math channel in RS3 Analysis you can choose the unit. Pick a consistent naming scheme so you can tell what is native to your dash and what is a Analysis Math Channel!

Throttle:

This one is a little weirder. We're going to use the channel SDS IGN AN 1 (deg) from the ECU. On my car, 40.2 deg is full throttle and 89.2 deg is zero throttle. So this means we can't just apply a constant offset, we need to invert it. I do this using an intermediate channel (ThrottleInter) and a final channel (ThrottlePercCorr).

The intermediate value translates zero throttle (89.2 * -0.5 + 45) to 0.4, and full throttle (40.2 * 0.5 + 45) to 24.9. We then multiply that by 4 for the final result. This isn't exactly right but it is close enough for rock n roll.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 12.57.00.png

Screenshot 2022-12-22 12.57.10.png

Here's how it comes together:

1671732086074.png

Sending to SmartyCam:

The last step is to ensure this is being sent to the SmartyCam directly. Set your Throttle Pos and Brake Pos:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 1.04.16 PM.png

And that's it!

You can configure your overlay however you like. Here's how I do mine:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 1.05.27 PM.png

Here's an example of how it comes together:

Last edited:

Sam Reed

Sandwich Retriever
RAW
Dec 14, 2022
Palmer, MA
Here are the exported configs I used, that you can load directly if you wish. Note you will get my custom dashes along with it, which you may or may not want. I suggest importing as a separate device and using it for reference only.

Attachments

• Rush SR MXS 1.2.zconfig
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • SmartyCam GP HD 2.2.zconfig
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Andor

Rush SR Owner
Dec 20, 2022
Sebring, FL
Another great write up!
I don't use nor have a smarty cam but a lot of useful info here that can still be applied for other areas.

Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Sam Reed

DrPyro2k

Rush SR Owner
Jan 1, 2023
Houston, TX 77079
I'm working on my Throttle logging, and appreciate the information. I use a VBOX, because that is what I had and know well. I setup the default math channels just like described and ran a session with it. This logged the SDS IGN AN 1 data so I could determine the 0% and 100% throttle position.

For me...
0% = 81 deg
100% = 38deg

My equations are similar so the "Intermediate" calculation is
(SDS IGN AN1 * -0.5) + 40.5

Then I modified the second formula to be
Intermediate * (100/21.5)

Since the 4x multiplier isn't quite as close as the OPs (I'm a little closer to 5x).

Will post a video later with it....

John H

Rush SR Owner
Jan 1, 2023
De Leon Springs, FL 32130
@Sam Reed have you seen the post that uses map pressure for throttle? Neither solution is linear or perfect, but typically map, throttle, rpm is more of a 2 dimensional graph than ign, throttle, rpm. That is to say 50% throttle will produce more simialr map pressures at differing RPM than ignition angle. Did you compare these?

Sam Reed

Sandwich Retriever
RAW
Dec 14, 2022
Palmer, MA
@Sam Reed have you seen the post that uses map pressure for throttle? Neither solution is linear or perfect, but typically map, throttle, rpm is more of a 2 dimensional graph than ign, throttle, rpm. That is to say 50% throttle will produce more simialr map pressures at differing RPM than ignition angle. Did you compare these?

I haven't seen that post. I think you're right, the MAP sensor data, at least on my car, looks much less messy. It ranges from 6.3psi at zero throttle to 14psi at full, which is pretty easy to write a math channel for.

Top channel is my calculated throttle percentage. Purple is MAP, bottom is ignition angle. The MAP sensor looks a lot more like actual throttle pedal input than my calculated percentage does. Thanks for the lead!

1673620198733.png

EDIT: Looks pretty good, see bottom channel!

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 9.36.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 9.37.08 AM.png

Last edited:

John H

Rush SR Owner
Jan 1, 2023
De Leon Springs, FL 32130
Nice, (y) Plus I'd argue even if you had a throttle position sensor feed, map pressure is the more relevant variable anyway, for an NA ITB engine. In analysis, throttle angle is just a proxy for commanded torque, and map more closely follows this than angle, since angle is a non linear offender as well (i.e. how the last 20% of throttle is all basically 100% throttle).

Reactions: Sam Reed

DrPyro2k

Rush SR Owner
Jan 1, 2023
Houston, TX 77079
Can we use something like this to get an actual direct throttle position?