Rush Series Rulebook mumblings

Licklobster

Apr 21, 2023
Richmond Hill, GA
These are things in the rulebook that don't make sense. Some are borderline, some need to be reworded, and some should be changed outright. I'll try to post my reasoning for each. Items are only ordered front to back, in no particular order

Starting with 2.2.0 and quite possibly the most important one on this list - 1325# min weight means no one over 200 pounds can be competitive, period (with the ideal driver weight being 165-170# due to a typical wet car being 1155-1165#) - and penalizes cars further if they have add-ons like the extra fuel tank/system since this is just extra weight over the minumum. Unattainable weight target for a large portion of the driver field is not fair or balanced in a spec series. This can be addressed in a few ways - either raising it outright, or giving allowances elsewhere (see the aero complaint). These cars are only getting heavier.

The aero package restrictions in 3.1.0 (mostly the terrible chinese knock off wing) should not be a spec item. The "wing" is used very loosely here. Multiple users are seeing fatigue cracks at the wing mounts because of the poor to nonexistant quality of this part. Further, it's been well established that it functions extremely poorly and causes an immense amount of drag. If you don't want to ditch the wing restriction, allow aftermarket wings at a weight penalty (EG: +100# for aftermarket wing). Wings are inexpensive and a very basic tuning item, so it seems illogical to mandate a barely functional part that handicaps the car's performance. Allowing aftermarket wings at a penalty also puts a bandaid on the too-low minimum weight that exists in 2.2.0 and gives drivers a choice.

3.1.1 , 3.1.6, and 3.1.3 directly contradict each other. 3.1.1 states that body components/aero cant be substituted outside of original configuration. "or significantly Modified" should be added here for this to mean something. 3.1.3 says I can adjust "fitment" of my body panels. This is an extremely loose rule, because "fitment" is neither defined, nor is there a limitation placed on the fitment adjustment. See where this is going?

3.1.6 says I can remove forward faces on the fenders, which would seem to contradict 3.1.1since the fenders are now in a non-original configuration - though if you solely count it as an exception I guess it works.

3.2.1 prevents basic non-performance related modifications. Want a permanent mount for your camera? disqualified. Want a chain guard rivnutted into the chassis bar? Disqualified. "No chassis modifications shall be permitted under any circumstance." Wiggle room should be allowed for small, convenience modifications that have no effect on actual racing of the car

3.3.2 is a cash grab and unenforceable. "3.3.2 Only RAW factory or Denso OEM starters are permitted inside of the Rush Spec Series. Participants in violation of this section will be disqualified until the violation has been replaced or fixed." Are we worried about aftermarket performance starters upsetting class balance here? :LOL:
This rule also shits on drivers who lose a starter during an event and have to source one locally. It's bad, and it needs to go away.

3.3.5 is unenforceable. An engine "seal" is not keeping anyone out of the engine, nor are there established provisions for a challenge of legality or remediation for someone who gets torn down and found to be legal. This needs to be added.

4.2.1 the differential is allowed to be tuned but the springs and wing aren't? What planet are we on?

4.3.0 shouldn't exist because the spring rate vs wheel rate is wrong and you're preventing owners from fixing it. Additionally, springs are the most basic tuning item in race car history since the beginning of time, and you're taking away options from drivers. This is bad. This stifles car setup and creativity, and springs are extraordinarily inexpensive. Why does this rule exist? It's doubly strange because you offer two spring rates.

4.4.0 is counterproductive because it prevents owners from developing advances toward/fixing the known shock longevity issues and experimenting with better parts and wiper seals - which would serve no performance advantage. Racers with the willingness to source/maintain nitrogen gear already have an advantage over drivers using air alone at the track. This is bad because the whole of your ownership has more resources then the whole of DAMZ. If a better solution is found to some of the problematic parts and seals can be improved, it's never going to make it back to you because you've deemed it illegal in the first place. See also 3.3.5 above, there is no provision in the rules to make a challenge of another car / teardown parts.

4.6.0 doesnt quantify "pump gas," not that I want to spend the money on 93 octane MR12 - it will make 5-8 more horsepower. Ethanol free and oxygenated fuel will both make more HP then the something from the local corner store. A lot of racetracks have (only) e-free 94 at the track. This would be unusable according to your ruleset. Why? Additionally, as with the other already mentioned times above - there is no provision for a challenge of a car, test by official, or remediation.

5.0.0 Wider front wheels are allowed on the front according to the rush sr series rules, you just have to buy an extra set from Rush (lol). There is nothing in the rulebook stopping me from running 13x8.5 wheels all the way around, which will be faster then the supplied 13x7 wheels, even with the spec front tire - due to the superior contact patch.

Seperate from using two sets of stock rear spec wheels you will find no provision in the rulebook at all saying the spec wheels must be run in the first place. 3.2.0. and 3.3.0 do not specify wheels anywhere, 5.0.0 does not specify wheels. As much as you've said "only the stock wheels are legal" everywhere I look I'd expect to find it in the rulebook but it isnt there.

I appreciate your closing comments in the rulebook, specifically "It is impossible to write a rule that covers every angle that a person may choose to find
a loophole, to circumvent the nature or intent of our rule book." This is true. This is why I'm bringing a lot of this up now, before it happens at a track in some cases, or for general driver friendliness in the first place (springs, starters, min weight).

The rule-book shouldn't be restrictive for the sake of being restrictive, and can be made better while still keeping the spirit of a spec class alive. The bigger the class gets, the more important the backbone of the rules will become - especially when more sponsor dollars enter the pool and people have a larger incentive to find an edge over other competitors. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I would like to add sections 4.5.0 and4.5.1 to the list of sections to be reviewed.

4.5.0 Only Aim MXM, MXL or MXS data systems are permitted, It is permitted to add Steering angle, and shock position sensors only.

4.5.1 It is permitted to utilize a Garmin Catalyst Driving Performance Optimizer in addition to the Aim Data Logger.

I believe the intent of the Spec rules is two fold:
  1. To make the racing focused on the driver not the car
  2. Make the Spec series cost of entry and competitiveness affordable
I don't see where these two rules further those goals.

Data collection/ analysis and power management technologies are evolving at a very fast pace so hard-coding specific devices in the rules would be a never ending chore. If the systems are used solely for the enhancement of the driver's skill-set or the usability of the car it should be allowed. Disallow their use to enhance the cars performance. I believe that these two sections should be reworded to implement this.

Examples of the difference between the two:

Allowed:
  1. Changing switches for buttons and allowing the equipment to control their function. There was a case at Barber this past weekend where a car was simply turned off in the middle of a session because of the placement of switches in relation to the steering wheel. This could be a safety issue if it happened at the wrong time.
  2. Allow the collection of any telemetry used solely driver improvement.
Disallowed:

1. Using telemetry collected by the equipment to drive an active Aero system

The exchange of telemetry between members of the group should be encouraged. David's 'RUSH SR 2023 FastLap Battle' is a great step in this direction. Maybe we should add this data exchange requirement to 4.5.2?

These are things in the rulebook that don't make sense. Some are borderline, some need to be reworded, and some should be changed outright. I'll try to post my reasoning for each. Items are only ordered front to back, in no particular order

Starting with 2.2.0 and quite possibly the most important one on this list - 1325# min weight means no one over 200 pounds can be competitive, period (with the ideal driver weight being 165-170# due to a typical wet car being 1155-1165#) - and penalizes cars further if they have add-ons like the extra fuel tank/system since this is just extra weight over the minumum. Unattainable weight target for a large portion of the driver field is not fair or balanced in a spec series. This can be addressed in a few ways - either raising it outright, or giving allowances elsewhere (see the aero complaint). These cars are only getting heavier.

The aero package restrictions in 3.1.0 (mostly the terrible chinese knock off wing) should not be a spec item. The "wing" is used very loosely here. Multiple users are seeing fatigue cracks at the wing mounts because of the poor to nonexistant quality of this part. Further, it's been well established that it functions extremely poorly and causes an immense amount of drag. If you don't want to ditch the wing restriction, allow aftermarket wings at a weight penalty (EG: +100# for aftermarket wing). Wings are inexpensive and a very basic tuning item, so it seems illogical to mandate a barely functional part that handicaps the car's performance. Allowing aftermarket wings at a penalty also puts a bandaid on the too-low minimum weight that exists in 2.2.0 and gives drivers a choice.

3.1.1 , 3.1.6, and 3.1.3 directly contradict each other. 3.1.1 states that body components/aero cant be substituted outside of original configuration. "or significantly Modified" should be added here for this to mean something. 3.1.3 says I can adjust "fitment" of my body panels. This is an extremely loose rule, because "fitment" is neither defined, nor is there a limitation placed on the fitment adjustment. See where this is going?

3.1.6 says I can remove forward faces on the fenders, which would seem to contradict 3.1.1since the fenders are now in a non-original configuration - though if you solely count it as an exception I guess it works.

3.2.1 prevents basic non-performance related modifications. Want a permanent mount for your camera? disqualified. Want a chain guard rivnutted into the chassis bar? Disqualified. "No chassis modifications shall be permitted under any circumstance." Wiggle room should be allowed for small, convenience modifications that have no effect on actual racing of the car

3.3.2 is a cash grab and unenforceable. "3.3.2 Only RAW factory or Denso OEM starters are permitted inside of the Rush Spec Series. Participants in violation of this section will be disqualified until the violation has been replaced or fixed." Are we worried about aftermarket performance starters upsetting class balance here? :LOL:
This rule also shits on drivers who lose a starter during an event and have to source one locally. It's bad, and it needs to go away.

3.3.5 is unenforceable. An engine "seal" is not keeping anyone out of the engine, nor are there established provisions for a challenge of legality or remediation for someone who gets torn down and found to be legal. This needs to be added.

4.2.1 the differential is allowed to be tuned but the springs and wing aren't? What planet are we on?

4.3.0 shouldn't exist because the spring rate vs wheel rate is wrong and you're preventing owners from fixing it. Additionally, springs are the most basic tuning item in race car history since the beginning of time, and you're taking away options from drivers. This is bad. This stifles car setup and creativity, and springs are extraordinarily inexpensive. Why does this rule exist? It's doubly strange because you offer two spring rates.

4.4.0 is counterproductive because it prevents owners from developing advances toward/fixing the known shock longevity issues and experimenting with better parts and wiper seals - which would serve no performance advantage. Racers with the willingness to source/maintain nitrogen gear already have an advantage over drivers using air alone at the track. This is bad because the whole of your ownership has more resources then the whole of DAMZ. If a better solution is found to some of the problematic parts and seals can be improved, it's never going to make it back to you because you've deemed it illegal in the first place. See also 3.3.5 above, there is no provision in the rules to make a challenge of another car / teardown parts.

4.6.0 doesnt quantify "pump gas," not that I want to spend the money on 93 octane MR12 - it will make 5-8 more horsepower. Ethanol free and oxygenated fuel will both make more HP then the something from the local corner store. A lot of racetracks have (only) e-free 94 at the track. This would be unusable according to your ruleset. Why? Additionally, as with the other already mentioned times above - there is no provision for a challenge of a car, test by official, or remediation.

5.0.0 Wider front wheels are allowed on the front according to the rush sr series rules, you just have to buy an extra set from Rush (lol). There is nothing in the rulebook stopping me from running 13x8.5 wheels all the way around, which will be faster then the supplied 13x7 wheels, even with the spec front tire - due to the superior contact patch.

Seperate from using two sets of stock rear spec wheels you will find no provision in the rulebook at all saying the spec wheels must be run in the first place. 3.2.0. and 3.3.0 do not specify wheels anywhere, 5.0.0 does not specify wheels. As much as you've said "only the stock wheels are legal" everywhere I look I'd expect to find it in the rulebook but it isnt there.

I appreciate your closing comments in the rulebook, specifically "It is impossible to write a rule that covers every angle that a person may choose to find
a loophole, to circumvent the nature or intent of our rule book." This is true. This is why I'm bringing a lot of this up now, before it happens at a track in some cases, or for general driver friendliness in the first place (springs, starters, min weight).

The rule-book shouldn't be restrictive for the sake of being restrictive, and can be made better while still keeping the spirit of a spec class alive. The bigger the class gets, the more important the backbone of the rules will become - especially when more sponsor dollars enter the pool and people have a larger incentive to find an edge over other competitors. Just my thoughts.
We welcome constructive feedback, misinformation, and derogatory insults not so much. Perhaps not the best way to get me to engage in dialog.

As for the stock wing, I suggest that you wait until you have a chance to drive the car. Then try it with and without the wing.

You may not be aware that Rasmus Lindh ran the car in Sebring with a $2800 APR wing and aftermarket shocks. It was worth about 4-5 mph on the straights. Interestingly the stock car was actually faster through the corners resulting in lap times within .1s of each other.

The wing is a compromise, it has massive drag at the top end but is very low cost, you can find them on Ebay! The nice thing about a spec series, is its spec, everyone has the same wing.

When you’re not running in the spec series it’s a 2 min job to change to your “big wang” of preference!

Also more than happy to discuss our rules anytime someone wants to give me a call.

personally I haven't picked apart the rush spec rule book as we have no spec rush series in the north east yet.
as for spec series the hole point is that every car is the same! it has the same good and bad about them. I have raced in a few spec series MX5 cup and Porsche cup. in MX4 cup with the old NC MX5's wheel hubs would break all the time an upgrade is to swap over to the RX8 bigger hubs but Mazda said no !

not sure about the switches ? personally my wife and I have no problem with them we haven't hit them.
to change the switches there is no performance gain to it so this is something you would personally go over with the powers that be.

it's the same with the chain guard rule and using nut seat's. as far as I know rush doesn't offer a chain guard ? if they adopt a spec chain guard then if you wanted to use one you can. again it's something to go over with the power that be.

We welcome constructive feedback, misinformation, and derogatory insults not so much. Perhaps not the best way to get me to engage in dialog.

As for the stock wing, I suggest that you wait until you have a chance to drive the car. Then try it with and without the wing.

You may not be aware that Rasmus Lindh ran the car in Sebring with a $2800 APR wing and aftermarket shocks. It was worth about 4-5 mph on the straights. Interestingly the stock car was actually faster through the corners resulting in lap times within .1s of each other.

The wing is a compromise, it has massive drag at the top end but is very low cost, you can find them on Ebay! The nice thing about a spec series, is its spec, everyone has the same wing.

When you’re not running in the spec series it’s a 2 min job to change to your “big wang” of preference!

Also more than happy to discuss our rules anytime someone wants to give me a call.

David don't take rules feedback as an attack on yourself - you weren't insulted. Everyone is here because they support the platform, the car, and the future of the series. Just being frank about the ruleset. You can do whatever you want with the series, it's your ship to sail. The point being made is there is room for improvement with the rules without making drivers choose between different series or organizations they want to be competitive in - as well as opportunity to increase parity among current entrants (weight).

Last edited:
David don't take rules feedback as an attack on yourself - you weren't insulted. Everyone is here because they support the platform, the car, and the future of the series. Just being frank about the ruleset. You can do whatever you want with the series, it's your ship to sail. The point being made is there is room for improvement with the rules without making drivers choose between different series or organizations they want to be competitive in - as well as opportunity to increase parity among current entrants (weight).
I did not take the feedback as an insult, indeed several of your point, are points we are discussing making amendments of for 2024. The feedback is appreciated.

"3.2.2 Is a cash grab" That's an insult! The Denso / Suzuki starter MSRP is $641. It is susceptible to damage in a spin and its cost, was upsetting owners. We invested $17K to have the molds and tooling built and buy a batch of starters so we could cut the price by 60%. We sell ours for $276. The supplier wanted a MOQ of 800 for us to have it exclusively. We couldn't justify a $100K investment to have it exclusively and 800 starters was going to take make it a long ROI! So now you can buy them on Ebay. Funny thing is the manufacturer has now come back and asked us if we want to buy the inventory they built because there not selling very many on Ebay! So yes having made an investment to sell a product and make less money so our customers are not feeling as much $ pain when they spin the car, it feels insulting to be accused of a cash grab. If you don't want to buy from us your welcome to pay the extra 60% for the Denso! The Ebay seller won't be at the track with spares either! Actually for the company that's building a relatively high performance car for basically 50% of our competition, the last thing I ever though we would be accused of was a cash grab!

The car has a proper differential, a Salisbury style diff with clutch plates. Its pretty much impossible to build that where there is not adjustability as the adjustability comes down to the plate stack arrangement. There is NO way of seeing how it is setup without disassembling it, which is a big job to do at the track. Inevitably people will play with the stack configuration to change diff lock up. If we cant tech it at the track we have to give people the flexibility to do so. Sorry that makes no sense, but I am Scottish which despite some things you have been told is still on this planet!

Any ways all good, we are looking forward to you getting your car and seeing you at some of our events. We have some exciting things coming!

Last edited:
I did not take the feedback as an insult, indeed several of your point, are points we are discussing making amendments of for 2024. The feedback is appreciated.

"3.2.2 Is a cash grab" That's an insult! The Denso / Suzuki starter MSRP is $641. It is susceptible to damage in a spin and its cost, was upsetting owners. We invested $17K to have the molds and tooling built and buy a batch of starters so we could cut the price by 60%. We sell ours for $276. The supplier wanted a MOQ of 800 for us to have it exclusively. We couldn't justify a $100K investment to have it exclusively and 800 starters was going to take make it a long ROI! So now you can buy them on Ebay. Funny thing is the manufacturer has now come back and asked us if we want to buy the inventory they built because there not selling very many on Ebay! So yes having made an investment to sell a product and make less money so our customers are not feeling as much $ pain when they spin the car, it feels insulting to be accused of a cash grab. If you don't want to buy from us your welcome to pay the extra 60% for the Denso! The Ebay seller won't be at the track with spares either! Actually for the company that's building a relatively high performance car for basically 50% of our competition, the last thing I ever though we would be accused of was a cash grab!

The car has a proper differential, a Salisbury style diff with clutch plates. Its pretty much impossible to build that where there is not adjustability as the adjustability comes down to the plate stack arrangement. There is NO way of seeing how it is setup without disassembling it, which is a big job to do at the track. Inevitably people will play with the stack configuration to change diff lock up. If we cant tech it at the track we have to give people the flexibility to do so. Sorry that makes no sense, but I am Scottish which despite some things you have been told is still on this planet!

Any ways all good, we are looking forward to you getting your car and seeing you at some of our events. We have some exciting things coming!

I have had two mfactory diffs in the past, they make some nice components.

I see your point of view on the starters, and I respect your standpoint - though you basically validated my comment. Looking forward to 2024 season.

Last edited:

Sounds like you don’t like the car you bought. It is fun to drive and there is no perfect spec class- in any series. The Rush community is great. If you’re looking for a perfect race, car, well….

Reactions: Lateentry
I was hoping to find the rule book here. I'd like to pour over it. Like it or not, pushing the edge of the rule book is how you go the fastest.

The cars need to be the same, but we also need to be able to adjust them to the track and conditions (if you rain race like us suckers in the PNW)

*Haven't bought or driven one, but have had a nice conversation with their sales guy.

I was hoping to find the rule book here. I'd like to pour over it. Like it or not, pushing the edge of the rule book is how you go the fastest.

The cars need to be the same, but we also need to be able to adjust them to the track and conditions (if you rain race like us suckers in the PNW)

*Haven't bought or driven one, but have had a nice conversation with their sales guy.
here is the link https://rush.sr/resources/rush-spec-series-sporting-rules-and-regulations.28/

Yeah, I found it last night. Rules are very simple, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

You can't change springs, but you can tune shocks and differentials, which is interesting.

Shock and diff tuning is sometimes black magic and beyond the scope of most gear heads even.

I change springs on my full bodied E46 M3 endurance car, but have never tried to revalve the struts....

But the Rush seems a great platform to learn that.

I'm definitely interested in spec racing this thing, but I also want to dominate my local hill climbs.... And that's going to require me to take the car in and out of 'spec' based on what I'm doing that weekend.