Sam Reed

Sandwich Retriever
RAW
Dec 14, 2022
Palmer, MA
At Bret's urging, I picked up one of these, an Insta360 Go3:

1723065287431.png
1723065299726.png

The little pod comes out and has its own battery and storage. All you need to do is mount it to your helmet with the little clip mount. You don't need anything other than the clip.

1723065332480.png
1723065393286.png

That's it! It stays on easily with the visor closed (it's stable enough when open, too) and lasts long enough to run a race. In the pic it's a bit cockeyed because I had just put the helmet down.

If you already have a GoPro mount on your helmet, this works nicely.

I haven't run the new Go3S but the Go3 is plenty good enough. I think 4K video is overkill, but I would bet the new version is better on battery at 2.7K resolution.

You can easily then overlay some RaceRender footage:

I have to say, the point of view and video quality is really fantastic. I've tried GoPros mounted on the side, visor, and chin. All produce too much drag. I can't feel the Go3 on my helmet at all. In my opinion, everything except the visor mount makes bad video. I've seen some where you can't see above the steering wheel!

In-helmet systems like the CamBox are good too, but tend to get blurry because of the visor. I don't think they'll fit in an ABP helmet, and I know a lot of yall run that. They do produce better audio. You can cut a little piece of foam and cover the microphone with it, it helps with the wind noise a marginal amount.

I've seen at least one driver mount the base unit in the car using a sticky 3M GoPro mount and adapter. You could then easily wire it into power using a 12V->USBC buck converter. This is probably the most convenient setup, not least of which because you can easily see if you're recording or not!

Reactions: rdesjar
Used one of these at LRP:

I really like it. It makes downloads to your phone way faster, or just stick it in the action pod and it’ll download to a micro sd. Did this at the end of each day and no more worries about running out of space.

Probably makes more sense to buy a 64GB and this quick reader than to pay money for extra storage.